Saturday, April 25, 2015

"I have a goat...I have a goat" Day One of the 2015 TCM Classic Film Festival

A little ditty about...



Before diving into a total Film Festival overview I just want to share how absolutely wonderful it was to get to share this experience with my dad.  I'd been trying to get him to come to the festival since the first year.  Each year he would make wonderful recommendations (The Pawnbroker in 2014, The Swimmer in 2013) and get excited about all of the movies, but would never bite the bullet and commit to coming to the festival.  This year he finally did it and it was all kinds of wonderful.  It made being a Social Producer that much more enjoyable, which isn't an easy task considering that the social producer group was filled with so many friendly, kind and knowledgable people. I really hope he decides to go again next year.

Thursday, March 26th

Brunch, Meeting, Lunch, Hotel Check-in

Thursday morning started very early, around 6am to be exact.  This was due to the fact that one of us was on east coast time and the other of us one was clearly just too excited to sleep.  I'll let you determine which was which :).  The early start allowed us to finish packing up for the relocation to Hollywood.  Even though I only live about 15 minutes away from Hollywood staying in a hotel seemed to make the most sense and it ended up being a wonderful decision and made it easier to make it to our 8 am meetings.  We also decided to grab some brunch on the way, we stopped at my usual/favorite brunch place Quality, where the waiter noted that I had a new date and asked what our plans were for my Dad's visit.  We told him we were heading to the TCM Classic Film Festival, he then asked if I had a movie in the festival...clearly he either misunderstood or didn't hear me, but I clarified and he said, oh yeah you wouldn't have a movie in that festival unless you were Myrna Loy.  And with that comment he may have become one of my favorite people.  He then asked which movies we were planning to see, we ended up telling him which ones were trying to decide between and he then shared a tidbit about the ending of Queen Christina.  A real quality experience.  Oh and we celebrity spotted Marlon Wayans, so we knew our weekend was off to an excellent start.

     
The next few hours were a whirlwind of information, meeting new people, eating some food and checking into the hotel.  It was so wonderful to reconnect with friends from last year, like Jeff (@jeffllundenberger), Kellee (@IrishJayhawk66), Kristen (@salesonfilm), and AnnMarie (@ClassicMovieHub) and to meet people that I had only ever followed or seen on twitter or Tumblr.  My dad bonded with Kristen (@journeys_film) over Armageddon.  It was also really great getting to meet other LA locals, Kim (@kimbo3200) and Emily (@vintagecameos).  I always forget that there are people in the real world who I can actually talk to about old movies without worrying about boring to tears.

We then headed back to the Roosevelt in hopes of checking out the Meet TCM Panel, but it was beyond crowded and we decided to see if we could check-in to our hotel instead.  Lucky for us our room was ready.  We checked in, relaxed for a few moments and then headed back to the Roosevelt in hopes of participating in the trivia contest.  Unfortunately they weren't accepting anymore teams, however quite fortunately I spotted Will (@willmckinley) at Club TCM and we got to chat for awhile.  I got to introduce him to my dad and we had a great conversation about our Social Producer assignment.  He was hoping for some blood and fights, I think we may have kept things too clean for his liking.  But we did give it our best effort.  After being rejected by the trivia contest we decided to try to get some water and had another fortunate run-in with Raquel! (@quellelove)  She had spotted me from across the bar and we got to have a lovely reunion.  We then joined her and a group that consisted of Laura (@LaurasMiscMovie), KC (@classicmovieblg) and others to wait in line for the red carpet bleachers.

Red Carpet




Our first line of the festival was in the blistering sun, I ran into the Roosevelt to buy a hat and we reapplied our sunscreen.  But it was all worth it.  We got to watch so many lovely guests arrive on the Red Carpet for The Sound of Music at Graumans (I still refuse to call it TCL, sorry, I'm not sorry).  The previous festivals I have been lucky enough to walk the red carpet so it was really interesting and exciting to watch it this year.  We caught glimpses of the 2 big stars, Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, but we got to see some other wonderful stars stop for pictures and talk to Sean Cameron on the red carpet.  Here are some of our pictures.

Beautiful signage
We had a great view of the carpet, but the people walking down it were essentially walking directly into the sun.  Most of the red carpet walkers were cool with it, but others carried large umbrellas to shield them from the sun.

A sea of awesome-ness, Keith Carradine, Robert Morse, Leonard Maltin, Shirley Jones, Marty Ingels, and Charlie Tabesh


Some more awesome-ness, I spy some cast members of Grease, Marty Ingels, and others


Many of the red carpet walkers stopped to chat with the emcee Sean Cameron.  


Diane Baker stopped to let us know that we're the ones who make Hollywood classy.
I'm gonna pretend Keith Carradine is smiling at me 
Keith Carradine waved to us.
The many faces of Robert Morse
Robert Morse said a nice Hello.


We caught a quick glimpse of Christopher Plummer before he was whisked into the theater.


Gregg Proops showing you how very bright it was on the carpet.


Who could that be under the umbrella?  Why it's Julie Andrews of course.


Shirley Jones looking lovely.



Leonard Maltin stopped for a little chat.


Anne V. Coates (honored editor) took a load off to get out of the blazing sun.



Marty Ingels, Shirley's husband regaled us with a little stand-up routine worthy of the Catskills.


Also spotted Peter Fonda, Christine Ebersole and Illeana Douglas down the carpet.


Rory Flynn (Errol Flynn's daughter) and her son.


Here's a short clip of Norman Lloyd and Ben Mankiewicz.

We left the red carpet a smidgen early to try to make it into Too Late for Tears, but alas there were already 177 people in line ahead of us.  We thought about Queen Christina, but instead grabbed our first and only real sit down meal of the festival.  We stopped by Johnny Rockets and went over the schedule for the hundredth time.


Godfrey loves me!  He put me in the shower!

After eating we decided to head back to the hotel, I contemplated turning in for the night, but the pull of My Man Godfrey was too great.  I'm really glad I ventured back out because I knew it was going to be a great start of the festival.  I stood in line with Jeff and talked with Kim and the pin man, who's name escapes me, sorry pin man!  I also ended up sitting next to Lou Lumenick and we talked a bit about film preservation and he shared some experiences he had had in NY watching movies at revival houses and theaters.  The movie was introduced by Illeana Douglas.  The movie was so much funnier than I remembered.  It probably helped that there was an audience laughing at every joke.  But what really stood out to me during this screening were the performances of supporting cast.  I found Alice Brady's portrayal of Angelica Bullock, the Bullock family matriarch to be beyond hilarious (hence the title of this blog post).  Every line she delivered was so funny, mostly because her character wasn always genuine and never trying to be funny.  Mischa Auer as Carlo, Angelica's protege had many ridiculous moments.  And Eugene Pallette, as always, was the perfect seemingly clueless patriarch of the Bullock family.  Of course, William Powell and Carole Lombard's performances were stellar, it was just that seeing the movie in the theater, on the big screen, gave these somewhat smaller performances a chance to shine.





Well that does it for day one of the festival.  Tune in next time for Day Two, which was also known as the day that was spent entirely at the Egyptian Theater.

For other (more timely) coverage of the fest check out all of these wonderful blogs:

Out of the Past- Red Carpet Coverage

Cinematically Insane- Will was D.O.A

Laura's Miscellaneous Musings- TCMFF in Review

Outspoken and Freckled- Hollywood Dreams Come True at TCM Classic Film Fest 2015

A Classic Movie Blog (Hey!, cool blog name :) ) - All TCMFF 2015 Posts

Aurora's Gin Joint- Citizen Screen's 2015 Fest

Blog of the Darned- Days 1-3

I'll be sure to update once I come across more posts.  I know I mentioned this on Twitter, but I just can't get over the difference in social media presence and blogs this year compared to the first few years.  I remember googling in hopes of finding any posts and now it's everywhere I turn.  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment