Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Charade, A Patch of Blue, The Pajama Game

I've been a busy little movie watcher the last few months, so busy in fact I couldn't take the time to update my little classic movie blog (lies! I'm just lazy). Anyway I have watched a great many movies, so don't worry about that. I decided to post about the 3 classic movies I watched during our time apart that I loved the most and they are....drum roll, please....listed in the title, but here they are again: Charade (which I've seen many, many, many times), A Patch of Blue, and The Pajama Game



Charade (1963)
Directed by: Stanley Donen
Starring: Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau and many, many more


I decided to watch this movie on Netflix watch now...just cause. I actually own one of the multiple DVD releases of this movie. I can't believe that this movie wasn't properly copyrighted...that seems so strange. Anyway, I love it so very much. I'm a big Cary Grant fan and an Audrey Hepburn fan; and they are beyond perfect in this movie. The intrigue, the fun, the sexual advances (initiated by Audrey). I'm really glad that Cary Grant agreed to be in the film, even though he was worried about having to woo a much younger woman. I think it all worked out for the best. I also love Walter Matthau in this movie. His performance is multi-dimensional. He's one the main reasons why this movie is so re-watchable.

Next up, cause I'm an amateur movie critic is:

A Patch of Blue (1965)
Directed by: Guy Green
Starring: Sidney Poitier, Elizabeth Hartman, Shelley Winters

I recorded this movie off of TCM, cause it sounded interesting and I do enjoy Sydney Poitier. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was blown away by this movie. The performances were amazing. I particularly was amazed by Elizabeth Hartman's portrayal of a blind girl. She was very believable and very! empathetic. Shelly Winters also does a great job of being the villain. She seems to have perfected that role in her later years (I recently watched the movie Harper, where she was also a less desirable character). Anywho great movie, with a great cast!




The Pajama Game (1957)
Directed By: George Abbot/ Stanley Donen
Starring: Doris Day, John Raitt, Carol Haney

The Pajama Game was adorable!! The songs were silly, the costumes ridiculous, the acting a teensy weensy bit campy and Bob Fosse choreography. Put that all together and what do you get? A super cute musical starring Doris Day. The Steam Heat number in this is so fun, it made me want to take some Fosse style dance classes (I, of course, never made that happen). I had originally wanted to see this movie cause I was going through a Stanely Donen phase. After watching his episode of Private Screenings on TCM I realized he was an fun guy. I had always admired the work he did with Gene Kelly and his other films (Charade!! of course). So I tried to see the rest of his filmography; and the fact that this movie had some Bob Fosse choreography didn't hurt things none.
I got interested in Bob Fosse after watching My Sister Eileen. His dancing in that movie is just spectacular!! You can see for yourself:


Here's a fun fact, John Raitt is singer, songwriter Bonnie Raitt's father. Also after watching this movie I did some reading about Carol Haney. I remember coming across her name while I was going through my Gene Kelly phase and in some other instances. I'm sure many people have heard the story of how Shirley MacLaine got "discovered." She went on as an understudy for an injured performer in a Broadway performance of The Pajama Game. Turns out that injured performer was Carol Haney! I also read that her performance in the movie version of The Pajama Game is one of the only records of her dancing on screen. She passed away very young at the age of 39 from complications from diabetes. She could've gone on to do some great things. I'll end this rambling with a video of steam heat:



Hopefully I'll be posting more in the near future. I've been in a blogging mood lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment